Recently, there have been numerous rumours going around claiming that the Wii U featured an embedded Radeon E6760 GPU. I emailed them last week to verify these rumours and I can confirm that they are indeed true.
I’ve detailed specifications for this GPU below which you can also view at AMD’s site.
|AMD Radeon™ E6760
|GPU + memory, 37.5 mm x 37.5 mm BGA
|Process Technology: 40 nm
|Operating Frequency: 600 MHz
|PCI Express® 2.1 (x1, x2, x4, x8, x16)
|Shader Processing Units: 6 SIMD engines x 80 processing elements = 480 shaders
|Floating Point Performance (single precision, peak): 576 GFLOPs
|3D Mark Score: 5870
|AMD App Acceleration, AMD Eyefinity & AMD HD3D technologies
|Shader Model 5.0
|AMD App Acceleration, OpenCL™ 1.18, DirectCompute 11
|UVD3 for H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 part 2 decode
|Operating Frequency (max): 800 MHz / 3.2 Gbps
|Configuration, type: 128-bit wide, 1 GB, GDDR5, 51.2 GB/s
With a floating point performance of 576 GFLOPS, 480 shader units and DirectX 11 support, this GPU is quite a large step-up over current-generation consoles (360, PS3) and should competently allow for next-gen downports (from the PS4 or Nextbox). Frankly, I’m quite excited!
Nintendo of Europe president Satoru Shibata will be hosting a Wii U focused Nintendo Direct at 4PM CEST. This is in addition to the New York presentation about the Wii U occurring this Thursday.
While we don’t know what will be discussed at this presentation, it’s reasonable to assume that we will get details on the Wii U’s release date and price. Maybe even the launch game library! No matter what it is, be sure to stay tuned here (by following us on Twitter, Facebook or using our RSS feed). for coverage of the presentation!
“Our Nintendo Direct Wii U Preview presentation is coming soon! Check back here on Thursday September 13th at 3 p.m. (UK time) to watch it live!”
GameInformer has released some new details on two Nintendo Land attractions; Metroid Blast and Balloon Trip Breeze.
- Metroid Blast features a 5-player mode. Wii U Game Pad controls Samus’s ship while the 4 players who use the Wii MotionPlus have to try and shoot down the ship.
- Horde mode, battle through waves of enemies with others.
- Features classic Metroid music.
- Features a lava-filled map similar to Norfair. Has a mechanical Kraid which players can grapple up to.
- Requires a Wii MotionPlus, regular Wii remotes do not appear to be supported
Balloon Trip Breeze:
- Players guide floating Miis through side-scrolling levels with obstacles, goal is to fly as far as you can.
- You can use the touch-screen on the GamePad to draw gusts of wind to move the Mii.
- The television shows the entire field while the GamePad shows a zoomed-in portion.
- Nintendo hopes the game will breed competition through Miiverse
Posted in Wii U
- Tagged balloon fight, balloon trip, balloon trip breeze, game pad, kraid, metroid, metroid blast, miis, nintendo land, norfair, wii, wii motionplus, wii remote, wii remotes, wii u, wiiu, wiiu gamepad
Gamers that have been following the Wii U have probably noticed the lack of substantial news concerning the platform. Considering the platform is coming out in a couple months, this may be a little worrying. Chandra over at Offical Nintendo Magazine says to keep the faith as we will get more news soon. I sure hope we do.
“Keep the faith nintendo fans. You won’t see much at gamescom other than ubi updates but the good stuff IS just around the corner. …frustrating for me too but there is stuff coming soon.”
Ubisoft has recently shown a new trailer for Rayman Legends which you can see below. It revealed a Christmans 2012 release date for the game.
The more interesting bit is the end where it states that the game is exclusive to the Wii U. Before, it was said that the game might be releasing on other platforms but with this, it seems the game will only be releasing on the Wii U.
Over at GoNintendo, there is a rumour that the Wii U is going to release on the week of Black Friday (30th of November) with pre-orders opening next week. There is also a GameStop pricing list with games priced at $49.99 being legitimate. Personally, I think that is a great time to release it.